Supplemental Life Insurance & Voluntary AD&D
Supplemental Term Life Insurance
SDSURF provides its Regular employees other than Research Scholars (SE) with basic life insurance in the amount of one times annual salary at no cost to you. If you would like additional coverage for yourself or your dependents, you can apply for supplemental life insurance to provide the financial safety net that you'll need. SDSURF makes it easy by allowing you to pay the premiums through payroll deduction. (Visit our Life & Disability Insurance page for more information about basic life insurance.)
Your Supplemental Term Life Insurance Coverage Options As a New Employee
- For You:
- $10,000 increments up to $500,000, or 10 times your annual salary, whichever is less
- Elect $200,000 with no medical questions
- Evidence of insurability required for any amount purchased above $200,000
- For Your Dependents:
- Spouse/domestic partner = Flat $25,000, with no medical questions
- Children: through age 25 = Flat $5,000 for each child, with no medical questions
Important Things To Know
- For your supplemental life insurance
- A personal health application or evidence of insurability is required for new employees wishing to purchase supplemental life insurance coverage for themselves above $200,000. The personal health application will be emailed to you if you wish to purchase insurance that exceeds $200,000. A completed personal health application should be mailed directly to The Hartford’s, or emailed.
- For your dependents' supplemental life insurance
- If you are a new enrollee, you must purchase supplemental life insurance for yourself in addition to purchasing supplemental life insurance for your spouse, domestic partner, or children.
- The minimum amount of insurance you must purchase for yourself is:
- $30,000 if purchasing insurance for your spouse or domestic partner
- $10,000 if purchasing insurance for a child
Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD & D) Insurance
SDSURF also provides its Regular employees with basic accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance in the amount of one times your annual salary at no cost to you. If you would like additional coverage for you and your family you can apply for it. AD&D pays benefits in the event of death due to accident, but also pays in the event of a covered disabling injury. AD&D can cover lost income, costs associated with serious injuries, physical therapy, medical bills, psychological counseling, and more. You can choose the voluntary AD&D option that meets your needs, either when you are first eligible or annually during Open Enrollment:
- 1 to 10 x your annual salary
- Maximum amount of coverage you can purchase is $500,000
Coverage Amounts for Your Dependents:
- Dependent Spouse & Child(ren)
- Spouse/Domestic Partner - 40% of your coverage amount
- Child(ren) 15% of your coverage amount
- Dependent Spouse & Domestic Partner Only:
- 50% of your coverage amount
- Dependent Child(ren) Only:
- 10% of your coverage amount
Visit our Life & Disability Insurance page for more information about the basic accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D.) insurance.
Value Added Services Provided By The Hartford
Ability Assist Counseling Services (PDF Format680 KB)* (available at no cost with Basic Life or Long Term Disability)
EstateGuidance Will Services (PDF Format 680KB)* (available at no cost with Basic or Supplemental Life)
Travel Assistance and ID Theft Protection Services (PDF Format 734KB)* (available at no cost with Basic Life or Long Term Disability)
Beneficiary Assist Counseling Services (PDF Format, 910KB)* (available at no cost with Basic or Supplemental Life)
Funeral Planning and Concierge Services (PDF Format, 1MB)* (available at no cost with Basic or Supplemental Life)
Other Voluntary Plans Available Through MetLife - Auto, Home, and Pet
MetLife offers SDSURF employees a 10% discount on homeowners, renters, and condo insurance. Call 800-Get-Met8 to get a quote.
Automobile Insurance (PDF Format, 94KB)*
MetLife offers automobile insurance to all Regular SDSURF employees. Under this program, you are able to enjoy special group rates that make coverage for your autos more affordable than ever before. You'll be offered convenient payment options, fast and professional customer service, 24 hour 7 days a week claim reporting, and only one number to remember for all your needs. Call 800 Get-Met8 to get a quote, and learn about all the money you can save.
Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI) (PDF Format, 94KB)*
With the rapidly advancing technology of veterinary services and the rising cost of veterinary care, pet owners will often need the assistance of pet insurance. VPI is the nation's oldest and largest health insurance for pets. VPI participants are free to use any veterinarian or specialist any where in the world. It will cover thousands of veterinary problems and conditions related to accidental injuries, poisoning and illnesses, with optional coverage available for routine and preventive care. VPI covers dogs, cats, birds, ferrets, rabbits, reptiles and other exotic pets for medical conditions relating to accidents, illnesses and injuries. Call 800 Get-Met8 to get a quote.
* Note: Documents in Portable Document format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 or higher to view. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader