Employees of San Diego State University Research Foundation and students traveling on SDSU Research Foundation grants to international destinations must obtain foreign travel insurance. Foreign travel insurance coverage is provided by SDSU Research Foundation.
Subject to terms, conditions and applicable exclusions, foreign travel insurance benefits include but are not limited to the following:
- Primary Medical Expense and Emergency Medical Benefits
- Emergency Medical Evacuation
- Repatriation of Remains
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Political Evacuation
- General Liability
- Excess Auto Liability
Prior Approval Travel Forms
These forms are used for pre-approval of travel on SDSURF funds before expense is incurred.
To Request Coverage
- Complete the Foreign Travel Insurance Request Form (FTIP) (PDF Format, 1.03MB)*
- Submit FTIP to SDSU Research Foundation’s Risk Management at email@example.com. SDSU Research Foundation will obtain approvals and insurance and forward travel assist cards to travelers.
- Please allow 30 days for processing travel insurance documents for approval.
- Travel to high hazardous destinations requires prior approval by SDSU’s President. Travel to war risk destinations requires prior approval by the SDSU President and the CSU Chancellor’s Office. CSURMA High Hazardous Country List (PDF Format, 14KB)*
Enroll in STEP
It is recommended that all employees traveling internationally also sign up for the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive information about travel conditions and emergency assistance while abroad.
*Note: Documents in Portable Document format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 or higher to view. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader